Thursday, August 16, 2007

I need to tell you something.

"I need to tell you something. Before I do, it's not my fault. I didn't encourage it."

Any conversation that starts out like that isn't going to end good. My grandma, who watches Brooklyn twice a week, as my husband and I go to work, called me after they returned from their morning walk. She said they had fun, got to see the little dog across the street, and Brooklyn got to munch on GoldFish crackers. Then, she said the above statement. My heart immediately started pounding... what happened?

My grandma tells me that before they went on their walk, she had her back to Brooklyn. Brooklyn started pulling on her pant's pocket looking for her pacifier, and she said "MaMa." My first reaction was, oh, yeah, she does that with me all the time. Not a big deal. She recently (within the past few days) has learned to say "gramma," but it's not a word that she is very confident in saying yet, so she only does so ever so often.

But, when my grandma repeated that it wasn't her fault, that she wasn't encouraging it and asked me if she should correct her, my heart got a little heavy. I immediately said that I know she didn't encourage it and yes that she should correct her should it happen again. My grandma said that maybe Brooklyn called her MaMa because she's there with her today. I told her that she probably got confused, and that she just wanted her pacifier.

We ended the conversation with my grandma saying "I hope you're not mad, I just had to tell you."

I'm not mad. I know that my grandma isn't encouraging it, or that it isn't her fault. Brooklyn knows who her MaMa is, there's no doubt about it. But, I tell you what, there is nothing that makes you miss your lil' girl more than hearing this. I just want to drive home and give her a snuggle...

5 comments:

  1. Shocking. Brooklyn obviously needs intense therapy. What if she starts calling the dog "Daddy." Thanx for trying to nip this in the bud.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know the feeling. My youngest daughter did the same thing when I was going back to college. She called my mom mama all the time. It just hurts sometimes. She got through it though and I am sure Brooklyn will too.

    Blessings and Prayers

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, that's got to be hard. But, like you said, she knows who her mama is!!
    Blessings,
    Joy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ack! Yes, we went through some of the same thing with Devyn. She called Alli "Mama" for a while but she's over it now. Don't worry, Brooklyn knows who the REAL Mommy is. And she LOVES you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous10:25 AM

    She knows who's who in that family. Older folks slip up like that, too.

    ReplyDelete