You want to know my biggest fear - raising my daughter in a world full of hate.
Even though my daughter will only be 8 months, the thought of sending her to school terrifies me simply because I can't be there to protect her from the violence, the hateful words and the bullying. In 2000, a first-grade boy in Michigan fatally shot his 6 year-old classmate after the two children had a verbal spat. He was only in first-grade, but he brought a gun to school that he took from his uncle's home where he was living. How can I protect her from this?
When I was in eighth grade, I was made the target of a nasty rumor started by the popular girls. What was the reason? To this day, I still don't know. But, I remember the first part of my eighth grade year sucked simply because I ate lunch in the bathroom behind a stall and had no real friends because everyone was so engrossed in the rumor. From that moment on, I tried to follow what my parents told me "who cares what others think of you." Mid-year, I made friends and the rumor died down and eventually went away, but the memory didn't. How can I protect her from this?
When people attack a person for who they are and what they believe, instead of having a heated discussion about their opinions, it makes me wonder what this world is coming to. I whole-heartedly believe it's okay to disagree with a person's point of view and to discuss the topic at hand. But, I do not agree with taking someone down by personally attacking them through words or actions. Every one has feelings and no matter how strong they seem on the outside, words can hurt. How can I protect her from this?
I don't have the answers. I don't know who does. What I do know is it's my responsiblity to protect her the best way I can by helping her have high self-esteem and self worth. By setting an example for her, I can only hope that this world's hate won't get her down. I would kid myself if I said that it won't from time to time, but I simply have to trust in the Lord that He will protect her when I am unable.
Wednesday, August 16, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


It IS a scary world, take it from one who just went through a horrific experience but the good news is that we have goodness, light, hope, and God on our side and without that, there's nothing. Let's just shelter our babies with THAT knowledge. =)
ReplyDeleteIt is scary. But I think you just show your child enough love to outshine all that hate. I'm pretty sure you already do that.
ReplyDeleteAs the mother of two grown daughters, my deepest desire was always to shield each of you from the world and its cruelty. I was not able to but instead we faced it together with the Lord's guidance, as a family, just as you and Kevin will do with your children. Do not be afraid but rather face it head on! Evil can be overcome with God's love.
ReplyDeleteIt is a very scary world. My oldest son just started 1st grade and last year in Kindergaten he was faced with a bully. This boy had ripped his jeans by pushing him down on the playground..ripped his coat and ect. I had to go to the school, and ask that this boy be watched a little more on the playground. Than God that the school is very responsive in listening to parents concerns. Eventually him and the bully made friends. Come to find out the boy was mostly just lonely and admired my sons easiness in making friends ect. My son and I have a condition medically known as Ehlers Danlos Syndrome. I fear what he will deal with as he gets older. I can only hope he will never deal with 1/2 of what I did at school. Kids were mean, and teachers didn't do much. I grew to hate school. The difference was made for me by very loving supportive parents, it really does make the difference.
ReplyDelete