Curiousity got the best of me yesterday. I knew the address, I knew about where it was, so on my lunch hour, I found it - the Ramsey house. Morbid? Maybe. It really shouldn't be something that is a point of interest for tourists because after all a little girl was murdered in this house, but nevertheless, I found myself outside it wanting to know more.
The house itself was smaller than I had imagined. After all, the TV coverage showed a wide spiral staircase and 6-7 Christmas trees - one in each room. I was expecting a mansion, but what I got was a large house. Part of me wanted to get out of my car, and walk around the house, trying to see inside. Luckily, there was a 6-foot metal fence surrounding the property. I drove forward a little and saw the basement windows, which are very visible from ground level. I drove around back and headed down the alley. I was hoping for a better view, maybe an open blind. All I got was a view of the pinkish stucco that looked like an add-on to the house, the 2-car garage and trashcans. My next thought: Does someone really live here?
I headed back to the front of the house, and saw a "For Sale" sign in the yard. A couple thoughts ran through my mind: "How much is this place going for?" "Who in their right mind would buy this house - a house where a little girl was murdered?"
When I got back to my office, I looked up this property and found out the asking price is $1.7 million. This 4-level (plus the infamous basement) house has 5 bedrooms, 7 bathrooms and nearly 7000 square feet. As I scanned the listing, I was looking for something that said "great basement for stashing kids." I didn't find that, but I did notice that the address had been changed from 755 to 749. At first, I thought the listing agent was trying to pull one over on the public by changing the address to hide the history. However, one of my co-workers told me that after friends of the Ramseys bought the house, they changed the address. My next thought was I need to schedule a showing because I want to see the inside. But, as Kevin pointed out when I recapped my story to him, the listing agent probably pre-screens people to avoid showing the house to people purely interested in the history, not actually buying the house.
This year marks the 10-year anniversary of that little girl's death, and the case of her killer still hasn't been solved. Stories like this make me so sad. What could this little girl have done that outraged someone enough to murder her? My answer: NOTHING!


No comments:
Post a Comment