I look at the ad a bit closer and realize it's not for a weight loss program or diet pills, it's an ad for a divorce attorney. Huh?! What a message! And, how sad. In the finer print of the ad, you read results may vary based on the weight of your spouse and court scheduling, but results are guaranteed. Again, what?!
Obviously by now this ad has been very effective in attracting readers, as it got my attention. But, I feel guilty and sad that I gave this ad this much amount of time, especially considering the content. However, it does make for a good ad because it does grab attention pulling the reader in wanting more. Then, I got to wondering and questioning the amount of time that I spend with each of my clients putting together slogans or catch phrases for their ads. Are the messages I am helping to put out there as effective? While the content of the ad is something I don't agree with, I must say it's a catchy way to display it. Advertising is really about relaying a message to an audience in a creative and effective way to get attention to that specific client in their specific line of work.
No matter how effective this ad is, I still feel uneasy, even a little bothered by it. I can probably chalk that up to the content though, and the fact that my expectations of the content was no where close. Makes you think about the messages you see every day though, doesn't it?
Side note: I was looking at the magazine to get leads for a Summer Camp Guide I am in charge of at work.


Very good point! We have been thinking alot here lately about stuff that we see. Our house has been getting a very good cleaning because of it.
ReplyDeleteBlessings
Crystal