Tuesday, November 25, 2008

I keep smiling...

About four months ago, my boss pulled me in her office to finalize my maternity leave plans. Since I work part time and in a department of two people, including myself, we discussed the need to hire someone to "replace" me while on leave. This person would work the same days that I did, sit at my desk, assume my responsibilities and because the nature of my business is advertising sales, take care of my accounts and my clients. We set out to find someone, and it really didn't take too long before a lady was hired. She started a good month before I left, giving her plenty of time to learn the ropes and for me to notify my clients who would be able to assist them while I was out on leave. Perfect scenario.

A little after she was hired, my boss pulled me in her office again to talk about a big annual project that our company does and that I did quite a lot for last year. She wanted to strategize and figure out if this is something that I could do while on maternity leave, but at home. It seemed very feasible. We mapped it all out and even after Tierney was born, kept in constant contact via email and phone about the progress.

During one of our phone conversations, my boss told me that she wanted to discuss something else with me. She had been talking with our owner and they wanted to offer me a chance to stay at home with my girls, therefore, they offered me a job as an independent contractor for the company. She told me to think about it and then when I was coming into the office for a meeting with her about the big annual project, we'd discuss it more. After I got off the phone, I felt so good. Naturally, I called Kevin and he thought it sounded great, but we needed more info. So, in the girls and I went to my office to show off Tierney and have the meeting with my boss. She explained their thoughts, expectations and what the job would be, and I accepted.

As I was driving home, I was quite giddy because 1) it's my true heart's desire to be home with my girls, raising them, being there for everything with them; 2) this was an answer to prayers; 3) my desire to be home was never anything I had mentioned, discussed or talked about at work to my boss or even to co-workers and 4) I was basically given a promotion as I won't be working in the same department or doing the same kind of selling. As I made calls telling family and friends about this incredible gift I was given by my boss, I kept smiling. And, I keep smiling, even weeks later.

4 comments:

  1. Congratulations! What a blessing! :) You're welcome to come visit us any time. Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know I've said it before, but I'll say it again. I am SO happy for you and thrilled that you get this opportunity. =)

    PS Love the new background!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous9:00 PM

    The best of both worlds .. a stay at home Mom and a chance to raise the two little ones at the same time. An early Christmas present? A late birthday present? No matter .. I can tell you're in seventh heaven.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful oppourtunity for you!!!! I am so excited for you, that is great! And what a wonderful opportunity for your daughters to have their wonderful mom around all the time!!!!!

    So many Blessings your way...and God is Great!

    Crystal

    ReplyDelete