My parents are selling their house. The For Sale sign went in the yard yesterday. As my mom told me this yesterday, tears started welling up in my eyes.I remember the day we moved into this house 17 years ago. I was 9 and my sister was 2. We were too small to really help with much of the moving, so we went to a carnival at my new elementary school. It's funny how things work out. If it had not been for us living in this house and my going to a different elementary school, I wouldn't have met my husband, who lived 2 blocks away.
This house is filled with so many memories: my lavender walls, my sister's Precious Moments paintings my mom did on her walls, my old puppy Courtney, our old shag carpet, copper cabinets, yellow & green linoleum floors, playing "HORSE" with my Dad, slumber parties in the basement, the smell of bacon on a Sunday morning, sleeping on my parent's floor while my sister slept in their closet, playing house with my sister, laying on the dining room floor comforting my husband (at that time - my ex-boyfriend) as he got back from a date that didn't go so well as my mom as ready to dial 911 because he was so upset, getting ready for proms, graduation parties, learning to pitch in the front yard, and the list goes on...

My parents who are the most thoughtful, loving and giving people I will ever meet are giving themselves a gift - a new home. So, even though I'm sad that they're selling their house, I am very excited that they are doing something just for them! My mom stated it best in an email we shared, when she wrote "No matter where I am physically, you will always have a home in my heart. I think a home is not necessarily a structure but more what is between hearts."


I LOVE what your mom said! That was beautiful! Hang in there... Its tought saying good-bye to our child-hood homes but its great to see our parents so happy too. Thinking of you!
ReplyDelete