Friday, December 07, 2007

Playing Santa

Now I know how Santa feels, minus the whole sleigh and eight reindeer thing. I just finished playing Santa to a few of my favorite clients. Our company sends around a Christmas list in November. Everyone gets a chance to put down clients, contacts, or organizations to give Christmas gifts to and what we would like to give them. The first two weeks of December we hand deliver all the gifts. This year I had five people/companies that I love working with and wanted to give them a gift to thank them for their business, and to let them know I love working with them. Now, for those that don't know, I work at a newspaper in the advertising department, so when I say thanks for the business, I mean thanks for using our newspaper for advertising.

So, yesterday I started out meeting a gentleman who does carpet installation and sales. He works out of Parker, which would have been a long drive, but instead we met in Denver where he was working that day. We had never met face-to-face, but have talked over the phone dozens and dozens of times. The minute I introduced myself, he said, "Oh, honey, let's hug!" and gave me a big hug. I gave him his gift (a gift bag full of Mountain Man goodies) and told him that we really appreciate his business and that he's a real pleasure to work with. He thanked me, offered the same to me, and told me I am SO young! Not sure how to respond to that (I didn't want to say, and you're SO old!) I said thank you. We chatted for about 10 minutes and then we said our goodbyes and I was off to my next stop.

I pulled up across the street from the Brown Palace Hotel in Downtown Denver, paid my parking fees, and made my way into the lobby of the hotel. The first thing I noticed was the Christmas Tree, so beautiful! As I made my way down the employee staircase, lowering my head so I didn't hit in on the low ceilings, winding past the kitchen, I came to the Human Resources office. I entered the office with the gift, a lovely red poinsettia, and was greeted by all the people that I had talked to on the phone. They thanked me profusely for the gift and gave me a behind-the-scenes tour of the Brown Palace. Much like any other hotel, but since the building is old and has history, it was fun!

My next stop was an advertising agency. These two ladies that own the agency used to work at a daily newspaper and opened the agency after they left the daily. It's only the two of them in the office, and the minute I walk in, they are all smiles and waves. I have met them before, so I know who they are and apparently they remembered me. We chatted about holiday plans, business and what the impending snow storm would do for the ski slopes. I got two hugs from these neat ladies, and was off again.

This morning, I drove to Brighton to meet the Human Resource Manager at United Power. As I walked into the building, I immediately wanted to work there. What a very cool green office! The lights turn off when you walk out of the room and turn back on when you go back into the office. When I met for the first time the HR Manager, she shook my hand and looked into my eyes and said "I have a personal question to ask you...are you Kevin's wife?" When I said yes, she immediately turned on this beaming smile. She said she loves his writing and finds herself laughing at all of his columns. She knew all about Brooklyn too. We talked for quite a while about Brooklyn, Christmas Day plans and life in general. What a wonderful woman! So down-to-earth and a true genuine person. We hugged before I left.

My final stop was to ITT Technical Institute to meet with the executive secretary. When I got there, she wasn't in yet, but I got to leave her gift outside her office door. I was a bit bummed I didn't get the chance to meet her.

The experiences I have had meeting people for the first time, getting to thank them for all they have done this past year, and to chat with them like we are old friends, was truly special. I look forward to next year's visits. But, until then, I have to finish my Christmas cards for the rest of my clients and get them sent out real soon!


2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had a lot of fun spreading all that Christmas cheer! :o) Hope you have a great week!

    Love, Julie

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have two awards at my blog, Malisa!

    Love, Julie

    ReplyDelete