Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Gotta love technology, right?

It’s never seizes to amaze me how friendships can remain without actually talking to a person, but instead communicating via text messaging on the cell phone or via emailing on the Internet.

Case in point– I have a friend, someone whom I have known for almost 22 years, whom I have not talked to in like forever. I cannot actually remember the last time I heard this person’s voice, even though I would recognize it immediately if I heard it. Our friendship used to be based on many, many phone calls and many, many face-to-face meetings. However, now, it has been reduced down to only text messaging. I got a text message from my friend on Monday, which I didn’t realize I had until today. Here’s our conversation…

Friend: Hey how are you? Just wondering if you are busy Thursday or Friday
Me: Hey you! I have to work both days. What were you thinking though?
Friend: I am off Sat too if you want to do something
Me: Have plans Saturday. What about Sunday?
Friend: OOOPS….Sorry wrong person
Me: Ummm..OK. So, how have you been? We haven’t talked in forever!
Friend: Good and you
Me: Good… so what have you been up to lately?
Friend: So would Sat work for you?

HUH!?!

Not sure how to take the last part considering the original “hey, what are you doing message” was intended for another set of eyes, so I hesitated when responding. Could I pick up the phone and call my friend? Absolutely. But, I didn’t. Instead, I responded with “Have plans Saturday. Are you busy Sunday?”

What does this mean? Probably that we won’t get together and that our next form of attempting to contact one another will be via text messaging. Does this mean that I don’t value this friendship…absolutely not, because I do. It sounds lame to say it’s easier to communicate this way, but if it wasn’t then wouldn’t one of us have picked up the phone!?!

1 comment:

  1. Jon often wonders why I don't just pick up the phone and call whomever I'm texting. Like you said, it's just easier that way!!

    ReplyDelete